ELLIIT researchers from Halmstad University are herby invited to submitt proposals for new Ph.D students projects with significant potential to break new ground and go beyond state-of-the-art.
Background: The ELLIIT Steering Group (SG) decided in its meeting on November 10, 2022, to allocate up to 2 MSEK per year during five years for two new Ph.D. student projects at Halmstad University (HH), to commence early 2023. Selection of proposals recommended for funding will be done by the ELLIIT Program Management Group (PMG), with final decisions taken by the SG.
Proposals are invited for new projects with significant potential to break new ground and go beyond state-of-the-art.
The scope of the call is enabling technology for digitalization, as defined in more detail by the ELLIIT 2030 Technology Foresight. Proposals that address aspects of (i) sustainability in the sense of energy efficiency, (ii) trustworthiness and/or (iii) resilience of engineering systems are especially encouraged.
To be competitive, projects must initiate new activities, broaden ELLIIT and provide substantial added value over ELLIIT projects funded under calls B and C. Proposals that represent continuation activities or extensions of existing ELLIIT projects funded under calls B and C will not be considered. However, plans to exploit synergy with existing activities (when relevant) will be viewed favorably.
Conditions of the call
- Each project will support one Ph.D. student plus time for supervision. For each project there will be a main responsible PI, and a co-PI. The PI and co-PI act as main advisor and co-advisor, respectively, of the Ph.D. student. Active cooperation between the PI, co-PI, and the student is expected. The budget per project is 1 MSEK/year for five years and is paid to the PI’s department.
- The PI must have permanent or tenure-track faculty positions with at least 50% activity at Halmstad University.
- The co-PI must have permanent or tenure-track faculty positions with at least 50% activity at one of the other ELLIIT partner universities (LiU, LU or BTH) throughout the duration of the project. Adjunct and guest faculty are ineligible. There is no restriction on department affiliation or on current/previous associations with ELLIIT.
- PIs and co-PIs on ELLIIT call B or C projects
- can serve as co-PI on call HH projects, but
- are ineligible to serve as PI on call HH projects.
- Any individual may serve as PI on at most one proposal.
Note that the structure of the projects is different from in call C.
Guidelines for preparing the proposal
- Please use the attached template to prepare a complete project proposal, structured as described in the template.
- Make sure to explain carefully how the proposed research progresses beyond state-of-the-art.
- All proposals will be independently evaluated.
- Proposals with structure or formatting that significantly deviates from the template may be rejected without review. Please use 12pt font size.
- The length limit is five pages, including the references, plus two-page CVs of the PI and co-PI(s), with links to Google Scholar.
- No pre-proposals are solicited; please submit a full 5-page proposal.
Format of the proposal (max five pages):
- Title, names and affiliations of the PI and co-PI
- Executive Summary: here goes an abstract (4-5 sentences).
- Research Challenges: Describe the scientific question that the project aims at answering, and why this question is important and relevant from an industrial/societal perspective.
- Technical Approach: Describe the technical approach in detail, argue for its feasibility, novelty, and soundness.
- Preliminary Results (if available)
- Roles of the PI and co-PI: Explain in 1–2 sentences the roles of the PI and co-PI in the Ph.D. student supervision.
- Aspects of Energy Efficiency, Trustworthiness, and/or Resilience: Briefly describe whether, and if so, how, the proposal addresses energy efficiency, trustworthiness and/or resilience.
- Added Value over Existing ELLIIT Projects: Briefly describe the added value over the current ELLIIT project portfolio (name the 2-3 most related ELLIIT projects from calls B and C, see https://elliit.se/research/project-catalogue/).
- Relevance to the ELLIIT 2030 Technology Foresight: one sentence, give the pertinent ELLIIT Foresight section number(s).
- References: Max one page. Limit self-citations to 2–3 key papers, and focus on placing the work in an international context.
A template in Latex is available here.
- Topic in relation to the ELLIIT 2030 Technology Foresight
- Scientific originality and quality, clarity of the technical objectives
- Added value over the current ELLIIT project portfolio
- Merits of the PI and co-PI(s)
- Industrial/societal relevance and cross-disciplinary aspects (when relevant)
- Aspects of energy efficiency, trustworthiness and/or resilience
Proposals should be prepared as a single PDF file (five-page proposal + two-page CVs) and uploaded on the ELLIIT Call page (https://www.lyyti.in/ELLIIT_Call_D_at_HH_1037) no later than January 15, 2023.
Contact: Questions can be directed to E. G. Larsson, Director ELLIIT (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Angela Sanseverino, Program Coordinator ELLIIT (email@example.com).